Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bad Day

OK. I think I just screwed up. I didn't do anything out of character.
I acted the same way I've acted hundreds of times in the last seven
years, but I think I over-stepped my power here at Hogye ES. We'll see
if there's a meeting with the principal in the next couple of days
....

This is the story. While I was putting students into groups, one girl
refused. She wouldn't participate in any activity, and she made that
clear. I tried to encourage her, but it didn't make a difference. I
warned her. She didn't talk: she just shook her head. I took her hand
and tried to lead her. She wouldn't go.

I'm not concerned whether new students are good at English or not. I
never provide special treatment to above-average students. I simply
expect all students to try -- to make an effort. I don't allow
students to opt out of activities they don't like. If a student is
sick, he or she needs to go to the nurse or go home. Otherwise, he or
she needs to participate in class, at least minimally.

She was not going to do that, so I needed to take her outside. I don't
chastise or embarrass student in front of their friends. She refused
to go outside. At this point, there was a conflict about authority. I
don't relinquish control over my classroom. Never. I didn't want to
touch her because she is a nearly adolescent girl, so I picked her up
along with her chair and carried her outside.

That really upset her. Apparently, though, she already hates English
and doesn't want to be in my class. I don't know why this is, but it
could be a personality conflict with me. It was certainly in effect
before today, but I believe that it's only gotten worse at this point.

No comments: