Sunday, May 27, 2007

Another Mistake

I upset Mi Sook and many of the tecahers in my department by teaching over them last week. Today, when I taught during her class, I didn't give her enough time. It was the same issue with Hye Yeong's class. I just kind of took it from her. I knew that she was upset, but I didn't care because she was too sick and couldn't teach at all.

The teachers are apparently thinking that they are losing face in front of the students or something. That's my guess.

Anyway, I need to back off. If I just stop caring, then it will be OK. I will just stand and wait for my turn. It doesn't matter. I'll just do my job and get paid.

I knew I was doing it, but they are so weak about it and back off immediately because they aren't confident about what they are doing that I thought it was OK.

Except Hye Yeong.I knew about her.

I'll just forget it, stand in class, and try not to look bored.The real problem is
that the Korean teachers don't feel like they are teaching when I'm there and vice versa. We think about ourselves too much.
I say to myself, "I'm just standing here, doing nothing for twenty minutes."
Mi Sook said "I feel like 'Why am I in this room?'"
and that's normally how I feel. Mr. Park didn't complain, but he just GIVES me his class every time and wanders around. I think he prefers it, but I can never be sure. I try to be student centered, anyway which means LESS teacher time for both of us.

We agreed to talk more about the class before it starts. Right now she just kind of gives me the book and says "We're doing these three sections" so I have no idea what part she wants me to play. I don't want to step on her toes.

Anyway, I need to go brush my teeth, then I am going to try to apologize to the individual teachers.
I'm wrong.
Not following the rules.
I hate the rules but that's what they are.
Have to follow them.
Just have to hold myself back.

No comments: